With January being a crazy month of getting back on track after the holidays, you tend to forget about your home and the costs associated with heating it. This article showcases four winter heating tips that will assist you in lowering your energy cost during these cold winter months. The majority of the tips below can be done instantly and at no cost to you!
- Turn your thermostats down to 68 degrees. For every degree you lower your heat in the 60 degree to 70 degree range, you will save up to five percent on your heating costs.
- When you are at work or out of the house, lower the thermostat. The energy you gain from lowering and then turning on again will save $$$ in the long run.
- Open your curtains on the south facing side of your home to allow natural sunlight to heat your home, but remember to close them at night so you can keep that sunlight and heat inside.
- Seal windows and doors with weather stripping on the top and bottom to ensure no air leaks through.
Maintaining Your System:
- Have your system checked on an annual basis. This will ensure that you are getting the highest efficiency.
- If you have a furnace, change the filter every month. A clogged filter will reduces air flow and increases energy use.
- Water heating accounts for 14-25 percent of the energy in your home. Turning down the temperature of your water heater to 120°F will save energy.
- Shorten your shower. Cutting your shower in half will cut water heating costs by 33 percent.
Let us know if you have used these techniques in the past and if you have any more suggestions, please comment below. We are always looking for different ways to conserve energy. For more information on how Nelson’s can help lower your energy bill, view our services page. You can also like our Facebook page.